Thursday, September 5, 2013

Homeschool coop week one

This week our homeschool coop classes started.  On Tuesdays my 5 year old will have language arts for 6 weeks, followed by math for 6 weeks.  This cycle repeats for the full 36 weeks.  There is also Spanish class every week.  And a preschool class that my 2 year old will be in.  The parents take turns teaching it. 
On Wedesday at the coop we play, do art projects (we made family flags this week), and once a month there is yoga and music class.  Occasionally there will be a junior gardening club from the local university.  There's also a playground there that the kids love.
We are looking forward to a year of fun, learning, and making new friends.

On another homeschool note, I am struggling with teaching Emma to read.  She is very intelligent and I know she will catch on quickly if she just tries.  We have tried several reading programs in the past year and this year I think I am going to stick with Starfall.  It seems to hold her attention the best.  I also have some fun (well I hope they are anyway) games and activities planned as well as supplementing with a sight word workbook.  This week she is learning the words and, the, see.  She can read her name, cat, dog, a, I, no, and mom well.  I learned to read at 3 or 4 so I had high hopes for Emma.  But I have to let it go.  After all, one of the reasons for homeschooling is to go at her own pace and not rush her if she's not ready.  Eventually she will learn to read so I need to just relax (easier said then done though) and not push her too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment