Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

Happy (late) Labor Day.
We had a busy holiday weekend.  My mom and her boyfriend came to visit us. 
Saturday we went to one of my favorite places, the Pennslyvania Renaissance Faire.  The Renaissance period is probably my favorite period in history and I love feeling like I'm transported back in time for a day.  Before kids we had season passes to the Faire and went many times each season.  Now we only get there once a season.  Once the girls are older I plan to incorporate the Renaissance Faire into a big, fun history lesson.  I already have so many ideas--dressing up in period clothes, reading Shakespeare, eating authenic food, knights, Queen Elizabeth, etc.  Ending with a field trip to the Faire of course.
For more info on the PA Ren Faire check out parenfaire.com.
Queen Elizabeth

 Children's Garden

 Children's Garden

 Several characters interacted with our girls today making the day extra special and memorable for them.


 


For those who have never been to a Renaissance Faire there are many shows with singing, dancing, juggling, sword swallowing, magic, human chess, jousting, lots of food, period crafts for sale, etc.  The PA Ren Faire features Queen Elizabeth, although I've been to others that depicted Henry VIII.

On Sunday we went to the Delaware Children's Museum.  Although small, it's a nice museum that my girls love going to.






Lastly, on Monday we went to my current favorite store, 2nd and Charles (2ndandcharles.com/).  A large used bookstore where you can trade in books (and DVDs, video games, electronics, etc) for store credit.  This weekend I had a coupon for double credit on trade ins.  I buy many of the girls reading and homeschool books here and I never have to pay anything as I always have plenty of credit to use from trading in items we no longer need.

No comments:

Post a Comment