Saturday, October 5, 2013

Disney Resources

Here are the Disney resources (books and websites) I found most useful while planning our upcoming trip.  Some are for  planning your Disney vacation in general and others are from the educational aspect.

*Walt Disney World Resort Guide to the Magic for Kids by Tim Foster
I bought this book (although pricey at about $25) for my older daughter to use while at the parks and as a keepsake afterwards.  Has info on all rides/attractions at each of the four parks, scare factor, room for autographs, stickers, and a travel journal.  Great book in my opinion.

*Walt Disney World Adventure: a Field Guide and Activity Book for Explorers
Although this book is a little too advanced for my 5 year old, I like it.  Has activities like secret codes, photo scavenger hunts, and word searches as well as trivia.  Also has websites to explore related topics (presidents, Mars, countries, biomes, and much more).  Good to use while waiting in line.

*Lots to do in Line by Meredith Lyn Pierce
Since a large part of visiting Disney is waiting in lines and my girls are not good at that, I thought this book would be a nice idea.  I'll let you know how well it worked after our trip.  It is full of scavenger hunts and questions (you can keep score or not) for all the lines at Disney World.  Keeps your kids busying looking all over (answers are in the back of the book if needed) and if they compete against each other they can practice math by adding their scores.

*Vacation Education Destination Epcot and Vacation Destination Magic Kingdom
Written by a homeschool mom.  Both available for Kindle.  I didn't read these as I enjoyed coming up with my own ideas but if you need more help I've heard they are good.

*Magical Mouse Schoolhouse: Learn While you Play at Walt Disneyworld Resort
I bought the Kindle version for $5.  There were some good ideas and "take away" activities but the majority are things I had already thought of on my own or were only very loosely related to the ride or attraction it went with.  There is also a website (MagicalMouseSchoolhouse.com) to go along with this.  The website offers monthly "earn your EARS" activities that you complete and submit proof of to get a small prize in the mail.  We did the Spetember one (involving dropping an egg to test safety) and received a jumbo Minnie Mouse eraser.  We are currently working on October's (time travel).

*The Mystery at Disney World by Carole Marsh and the Teachers Guide to go along with it.
A good chapter book for young readers. The teachers guide has a question for most pages and at the back there is a page of questions for each subject (math, English, geopgraphy, art) and activities (maze, word search, quizzes, design your own amsuement park, etc.).

*sse.disney.go.com/media/ap/spaceship-earth/#/real-disney-theme-park-science
Very cool website with videos from Disney on science related topics, such as, electricity. energy, gravity, magnetism.  You can also download extension activities.  Connect with Disney imagineers and scientists to find out the answers to all your questions.  Take the theme park science challenge.  There are also many links to other science websites.

*themouseforless.com
Lots of printables for Epcot World Showcase countries.  Use before your trip to study, during as a scavenger hunt, and after to reinforce what you saw and learned.  This site also has printable child travel ids (in case your child gets lost), word search puzzles, autograph pages, kids maps, checklists, and more.

*WDWprepschool.com
While not educational, this has been my favorite planning website (she's also on facebook and does a weekly podcast).  Lots of good info including best/worst times to go to Disney, packing lists, free printables, and a wealth of other important things.


*http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/home.aspx
The Moms Panel is another useful site for planning your trip.  You can get answers to all your questions here.

Well I think that covers all of my favorite Disney resources.  Let me know if you have any to add.
All opinions are my own.  I bought all books myself and received no compensation or credit for reviewing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment