Saturday, October 19, 2013

Waiting in line at Disney/airport and airplane ideas

Since my 2 girls can not hold still for longer than 2 seconds at a time, I know waiting in lines at Disney World is going to be a challenge, so I came up with some ideas that I hope will help.

1. Lots to do in Line: Walt Disney World
This is a book (which I bought) and there is also an app (which I didn't buy).  Full of trivia questions for every ride and attraction (the answers are found in the queues and also at the end of each chapter) and scavenger hunts.  Play by yourself or compete with your family to see who can get the most points.

2. Walt Disney World Adventure a Field Guide and Activity Book for Explorers
I wrote about this book in an earlier post.  It has puzzles and games you can do while waiting in line.

3. Look for hidden Mickeys.
There is a book and an app of where to look for them (although I didn't buy either so can't comment on them).  Although not up to date you can also check out hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/.  Some of the books I mentioned in my resources post also list a few hidden Mickeys.

4. Play I-spy.  Or 20 questions.
There are a lot of things you can find in the lines, get creative. 

5. Bring a bottle of bubbles to blow.
I saw this idea somewhere but probably will not do it.

6. Many of the rides have interactive queues.
Haunted Mansion supposedly has a mystery you can solve.  Dumbo has a play area.  Pooh has fun things to do.  At Test Track you can design your own race car.

7. Make sure to have snacks and drinks with you.

8. If waiting in line at night, bring glow bracelets/necklaces (check the dollar store).

9. Give the kids the camera and let them take a few pictures.  Maybe even give them each a disposable camera so it's not a big deal if they drop it.


Now for a few airport/airplane ideas.

Since it's recommended you get to the airport so long before your flight, I know my girls will be antsy before they even get on the plane.  So I packed a small inflatable beach ball in each of their carry on bags.  I figure we can find an empty waiting area and let them throw and kick the balls around.  Being so small the balls will deflate quickly to repack when it's time to board the plane.   Then they can also use the balls at the hotel pool/beach.

I made up an airport scavenger hunt.
-person on a cell phone
-someone using a laptop
-a pilot
-someone with more than 3 pieces of luggage
-a baby in a stroller
-a boy wearing a backpack
-someone eating
-a newspaper
-a woman reading a book
-a red suitcase (or any other color you pick)
-a man wearing a baseball cap

I know we will be the family on the plane that everyone hates with the uncontrollable kids.  I am so nervous about the girl's first airplane ride.  I packed their carry-ons with lots of things that will hopefully keep them busy.

1. I made them each a Disney activity binder.  I printed lots of free Disney coloring pages, word searches, connect the dots, and other age appropriate activities for each girl (I just searched google for "free Disney printables").  I also included a few blank pieces of paper for drawing and some 8 1/2x 11 patterned scrapbook paper for putting stickers on.  Then I filled a pencil case (the kind with holes so it would fit in the 3 ring binder) with crayons, markers, Disney stickers,Disney tape, etc.
I forgot to take pictures of this and the camera is packed now but I will try to remember when we get back to show some pictures of it.

2. Lots of snacks.  Also gum and lollipops to help with their ears popping.
3. Disney themed books, including an I-spy book
4. Leapster and a couple new Disney themed games for my older daughter
5. Their favorite doll/stuffed animal
6. A few new Disney themed toys that I will give out to them throughout the flight.  Check the dollar store for these.  I got them a Minnie Mouse puzzle in a cute little tin that should fit nicely on the tray.  I also got at the dollar store small Disney figures and Disney themed rubber band bracelets (I forget the name of these).  And at a yard sale I found Rapunzel (older dd's current favorite character) Barbie.
7. My Kindle Fire with new books loaded on it.
8. Color wonder book (Disney themed of course) and color wonder markers for my younger daughter so I don't have to worry about her making a mess.
9. Both of the girls will have a window seat so they won't be fighting over who gets to look out and hopefully looking out will help keep them entertained.
10. Mini etch a sketch
11. Other ideas I saw (probably on pinterest lol) are window clings for the plane windows, making puppets out of the barf bags, and playing i-spy with the in flight magazine.

So hopefully this will be enough to survive a 3 hour flight with 2 VERY active children!

This is my last post before we leave Monday for Disney (1 more day!!!) so stay tuned at the beginning of November for lots of pictures and posts about our trip.  I'm hoping to show you some of the things I made to prepare for our trip (Mickey ears chalk countdown calender, binder full of information, embellished flip flops, mouse ears, etc.).  I'll also share ideas and tips I learned while there and things I'd do differently if we're ever lucky enough to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment